When i hear the word “evangelism”, it makes me think of an overbearing streetcorner preacher. The word alone makes me feel uncomfortable. Saying, “I’m a Christian” illicits a militant response. Maybe it’s that deeply rooted idiom, “don’t talk about religion or politics in polite company.”
But that’s not what Jesus did… or said… OUT LOUD!
As entertainer and devout athiest Penn Jillette put it, “How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?” If we’re not telling people about this, do we actually believe it?
Maybe that’s just it. We need to believe it. We need to tell people. We need to listen. We need to understand. And we need to share our story – which is Jesus’ story.
- Confessions of A Closet Christian 23: Terrified to Evangelize
- Confessions of a Closet Christian 24: Only Old People Attend Church
- Confessions of a Closet Christian 3: Why Do Only Old People Attend Church?
- WWUTT: Jesus is the Firstborn of All Creation?
- Carty’s Contemporary Classics: Take A Look At The Snake, part 5